Friday, January 13, 2006

"Lurker": Pejorative Term??

...Apparently one reader at Paper Napkin thought so. Funny, but it's not clear from context whether this individual was actually a "lurker" herself! Crazy. Hey... I didn't invent the term. Look it up (I used Dictionary.com) -- the entry I saw even explicitly addressed the blog "lurker" definition as non-pejorative!

Incidentally, I decided that viewing only one source for this definition was insufficient. I love Wikipedia's thorough explanation on the topic, references dating back to early '80s message board sub-culture, and separate categories of lurkers!

I'm moderately tracking the National De-Lurking Week movement. We're about half done. All I can say is, 'FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD, PEOPLE -- IF YOU HAVEN'T POSTED ON MY SITE YET, F-ING DO IT!' Simple rules: 1) Everywhere you "lurk" in the shadows, reading/listening but never speaking/posting yourself... now's the time; 2) Everyone who posts to your blog -- particularly due to the de-lurking movement -- respond in kind and return the favor on their blog.

Supposedly this whole thing was started through Sheryl at Paper Napkin (I initially caught wind via dr. b) a year ago -- god, time flies -- and it was originally only a day. Honoring the weight of purpose in de-lurking, bringing all of you wallflowers out of your comfort zone, we needed a full WEEK. It sometimes takes more than a day to lure a turtle out of her shell.

Thus... in honor of this whole De-Lurking thing... whoever you are, however long you've been lurking in the shadows of my blog... LEAVE A FRIGGIN' COMMENT! It doesn't have to be deep, profound, or otherwise rewarding to the rest of us. It is simply meant to demonstrate the existence of yet one more human in this mix.

7 Comments:

At 1/13/2006 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a lurker, but I'll comment anyway :-)

-dr. b.

 
At 1/13/2006 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad you are safely back home... i came across your blog a few months ago when i decided to try and find out if you were deployed. something reminded me of you and i then recalled that you are (were?) in the National Guard. My recollection met with a bit of concern and i felt compelled to snoop your military business on the internet. though, no improprieties or impositions intended. still, i suppose i have been "lurking" for the past few months as i caught interest of your experience in Iraq. Little Tommie... twirling her fire baton. i still have a scar on my body from climbing a bemidji fence with you-- all for a spectacular fire twirling show in the black of night. such an exhibitionist you are! a blogger spot will do you well. take care, and good luck in my home state of Indiana (for I was a Hoosier until 12 years old). May the corn fields shine golden for you and your pursuit.
J.M. (former BSU Security Guard turned Graduate Student)

 
At 1/13/2006 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Tommi -- Thanks to the Lord for your safe return. I didn't realize that I must be one of your "lurkers" -- but I AM a concerned friend and very much interested in your well-being!

 
At 1/13/2006 12:54 PM, Blogger Tommi L. Godwin said...

Thanks for the response, all. Well done. JM -- hope all is well! Take care, all. -tommi

 
At 1/13/2006 11:56 PM, Blogger wanderer said...

Well, what to say? I'm tremendously happy to see you've made it back home safe. Time to feel your freedom.

 
At 1/14/2006 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tommi - I found your pics on Flickr which led me to your blog. So glad you made it safe and sound. It was nice to read a first-hand account from a soldier's perspective instead of what we get from the media.

Cheers,
Ingrid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hapakorean/

 
At 1/24/2006 8:34 PM, Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

You're HOME!

I worried. I stopped checking your blog because there were no messages. I was afraid. But I put up the link, wandered through sometimes.

I linked to your other blog also.

So glad you're back. Safe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home