Friday, December 23, 2005

Holiday Shout-Outs (Family Edition)

The best way I know how... I'm wishing all a Merry Christmas.

I'm bitter this year. Very bitter... but the taste of home is in my mouth... anticipation -- oh, sweet anticipation!

So, in the spirit of the season... I have a couple shout-outs to make:

My family at home:
You've been there for me this whole year. We've shared, we've cried, we've laughed. Thanks for the wonderful break when I came home in May/June, and thanks for keeping the light on for me.
-- Mary: YOU ROCK! I couldn't ask for a more inspiring woman in my life. I couldn't design more animated, rewarding conversations. I guess relationships with women of power, strength and wisdom (not to mention courage!) have their perks. I know you'll be there when I get home, no questions asked, and that is priceless. Thank you. I LOVE YOU TONS!
-- Brad: Thank you thank you for the steady, behind-the-scenes you, that you still somehow managed to convey across 9,000 miles. The packages, phone calls, financial overwatch... the love, the apartment furnishing... I love you, Dad. Thank you for being there.
-- Abe and Jennifer: I "lump" you together, not because I think of you as one, but because your individual support of me has so gracefully intertwined this year that I can't quite seperate you in my gratitude, my merry wishes, and my hopeful anticipation of hugging both of you at once. What a delight to have "siblings"-- married -- supportive -- beautiful -- and inspiring! Jenn, thanks for keeping me posted on all the hard work you've done in preparation for Grad school. I'm endlessly grateful for you letting me piggy-back! Abe, thanks for the trust we've built. It was there beneath the surface, it seems, but it really came out to shine this year. The money-juggling is the icing on the cake! Thanks for being available for the car stuff. It matters. I'll see you two again soon. Very soon. Love you!
-- James: (once again you get the "last but not least" theme, just for nature of being youngest! someday you'll think that's great ;) I love you. I love you. My "baby" brother. We celebrated your 21st last year, and I won't QUITE make it home for your 22nd, but I'm awful close. Keep the candle burning. I'll be thinking of you on your one-more-year-older day! I love you and I can't wait to hug you again. Soon, sweety. Soon. (I'm laughing right now, picturing your 'this is Boris' telephone voice!)

Bob: I'm out of words. Our phone conversations, though few, keep me breathing sometimes. I feel your devoted friendship even through months of silence. The silence is there. Mostly, it's a side effect of the mission I've been given, but it will be over soon. Thank you for praying daily. Thank you for answering the phone every time I call. Thank you for being there. I feel you. And it makes a difference. Merry Christmas. I'll be home soon.

Rich: I love you. You made it to my shout-outs because you've been so instrumental in anchoring me through this deployment. It's almost over. We're on the home stretch... literally. A lot is left to mystery right now, and I'm okay with that. We have goals to pursue, checklists to follow, but I know this: you're with me as I continue on, and I'm with you the same. We've shared so much, and I look forward to more. I'm looking forward to reunion. Looking forward to your hands on my face, my arms around you, and your cheek touching mine. Merry Christmas. I love you... ttmab!

3 Comments:

At 12/23/2005 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This being the first time I have messaged here, many of Tommi's BLOG followers may not know who I am. Please, no debonair attitude intended, or "Delusions of Eloquence" for Tommi. I have read your BLOG Tommi many times, and I better than anyone(sorry Mary) know exactly how painful it has been to get away for even a few hours, just to give a couple of hundred words to the hearts of those who love you the most, but get so little of what is left over after this place has siphoned everything you have through every oriface you have and sometimes, didn't know you had.

Tommi has fought this war as well as anyone I have ever met. I have never met anyone like her, and know I never will. She hated having to come here, but I think she would say that she has grown. Grown in a way that takes a place like this to really appreciate the "Real World" (Is MTV still on in the states?)

I really wanted to leave my piece here to thank Tommi in public. She saved my life (literally). Not in any war movie type fashion, but she kept the "Horrendous" that I did experience from taking me over the edge. She has been my rope from the riverbank, and there could have been no other. She saw me, and she came to me. She was genuine, and extremely precious.

I so look forward to seeing you once we both return. And thank you for mentioning me here again. It means the world to me, as do you, Tommi. You have been my best friend, and I pray that will never change.

I love you, I love you to the moon and back,

Rich

 
At 12/25/2005 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tommi, I know this is almost a private post for family, so pardon the intrusion. Just wanted to pop in and quickly say Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! I look forward to hearing that you are safe back on home dirt very soon.

 
At 12/25/2005 8:37 AM, Blogger Mary Godwin said...

Oh my dearest Tommi, as always you give your heart - so genuinely given, so completely given. You are the stuff from which heroes are made. You are light and granite; you are love, dear woman/child. You are love. Eight more days, maybe ten ... welcome home. -mg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home